Sunday, February 17, 2013

Shit My Dad Says

Couple weeks back, or maybe just one I don't even know, I read Justin Halpern's ultra short book, Shit My Dad Says. It was funny, short, and as the the front cover blurb says: "Ridiculously hilarious."



The book has full anecdotes in a short two-to-three pages chapters and several short snippets (basically tweets form the twitter account that launched everything) titled on the subject between the anecdote chapters. Did that make sense?
see what I'm talking about?

The book is -as said before- very short and will take about an hour or so to read. That being said it is a really great book. It delivers n everything it promises it would. I'd recommend this to anyone who wants to start reading biographies or nonfiction in general. I will also be definitely be looking for I Suck at Girls, the second book by Justin Halpern.

final rating: 5/5

I really don't see how this idea could generate any more money, to be completely honest. Apparently, some tv network thought otherwise, because this happened:

Now, I never say bad things about old people cause that's disrespectful and my mother taught me better, but William Shatner -and Goldie Hawn but that's another story- is the exception to that rule. I hated him in everything he's ever been in. Anyways, although the show is based on -and I'm using that term lightly here- the book, it bares close to no resemblance whatsoever to what the story is actually about. I mean, they made the dad and the mom divorced, something that can never happen in real life, at least not according to the book. That alone took a lot from the character of the father. The second thing was that they made the father an ex-navy which is plain out idiotic.

When I downloaded the first episode of the show I honestly thought it will take place in the author's childhood, this is just sloppy TV work. The brother and his wife are obnoxious. The playback laughter is just too much, the jokes are not even funny. Bottom line is I hated the show and given the choice I'd rather sit through a football game than watch it.

final rating: -5/5

No comments:

Post a Comment