Tuesday, August 21, 2012

The Dark Knight Rises: a Review.

Warning: this post contains spoilers.

The most anticipated film of the year finally hit theaters in the middle east on august 17th. I didn't see it until Monday, the 20th.

The movie's director, Christopher Nolan, and the production company, Warner Brothers, released very little, if any, information about the movie itself. With 4 trailers showcasing nothing but fight scenes between Batman and Bane, Bruce Wayne walking with a cane, and Anne Hathaway in a mask, you wouldn't know what to think about the movie. Well, except for expecting AWESOME things.



Let us start with the new faces in the cast; Tom Hardy, Marion Cotillard, Anne Hathaway, Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Mathew Modine, and Juno Temple.
Anyone who knows me knows I'm a huge fan of Joseph and Juno. Joseph's appearance in the trailers was very insignificant in comparison to his role in the movie. I was sitting in the theater thinking, "Who needs a Robin when you've got THIS guy on your side?". I've heard a rumor that Christian Bale refused to do the final film if a Robin was involved. Well, we all know how that turned out.
Juno Temple's role was a tiny supporting character as the apprentice of Selena Kyle, The Catwoman. Now, Juno has every independent film director falling head over heels for her after great performances in Mr.Nobody, Cracks, and Dirty Girl, but as of now, every major film production company has fallen for the charms of Temple.

Although Mathew Modine did a very good job playing Foley, I feel that his character was very disposable, as I grew very tired of that role being repeated in every crime or action movie.

To everyone who thought Anne wouldn't make a great catwoman, did you guys SEE that?

As for Tom and Marion, WOW. First of all, I wasn't sure Tom Hardy could pull on such a huge role, but my doubts have been cleared 3 minutes into the movie. Unlike most, I didn't find his muzzled voice funny, but sad. I felt sad for Bane. Hardy's role was about inflicting pain and fear onto others. He did that while wearing a mask. A MASK. You couldn't see 3/4 of his face yet you felt his expressions.


Am I the only person who actually knew that  Ra's al ghul has a daughter but thought, "Cool, they changed the story to fit the film." and then was, "I shouldn't have fallen for that!" Genius!

In terms of special effects and gadgets; aside from the bat and the atomic bomb, this movie was more based on the physical confrontation and characters development. The thrill came from -as Bane would say it- the soul, instead of the body.

I was sitting on the edge of my seat throughout the entire movie. Surprisingly it was more of a tear-jerker than I thought. The scenes between Alfred & Bruce were just heartbreaking.

The ending was great. The scene where Alfred sees Bruce & Selena together after he pretends to die is just..  EPIC.

Everyone says they want another film, but I don't. This trilogy is perfect the way it is.



No comments:

Post a Comment